U.S. Master’s Cap

In addition to the annual 65,000 H-1B visas, Congress has allotted an additional 20,000 H-1B visas for people with advanced degrees (M.D., J.D., MBA, Ph.D. etc.). So if you are a Canadian citizen with a medical degree, law degree, or any other graduate degree, you are eligible to be considered for one of the 20,000 Master’s Cap visas beyond the 65,000 regular cap. This is beneficial because applicants with a graduate degree do not fall into the general pool of applicants – of which there are usually more than the allotted 65,000. It should also be noted that Canadians with a graduate degree have a leg up when it comes to obtaining a green card through employment.