H-1B Visas for Entrepreneurs

Foreign owners of U.S. companies may be able to sponsor themselves for H-1B visas if the owners have a bachelor’s degree or higher in a specialized field and the company will employ the owner in that occupation.  For example, a Canadian with a computer science degree who founded a U.S. tech company can sponsor himself for an H-1B to work as a software engineer at his own company.  The applicant will have to show that the company has the right to control the owner’s employment.