U.S. Work Visas

Visa options for Canadians to work in the United States

You cannot apply for a work visa on your own without a job offer. You must first have a job offer from a U.S. employer who will sponsor you for a work visa.

Working in the United States is not as simple as applying, getting a job, and moving to the U.S. Instead, you need to have a valid work visa or work permit in order to legally work in the U.S.

Jobs that do not qualify for a work visa

While there are several work visa categories that Canadians may be eligible to be sponsored under, not all jobs or job offers will qualify for a work visa. Some examples of jobs that would not qualify for a U.S. work visa include:

  • Truck driver
  • Wedding photographer
  • Uber or Lyft driver
  • Real estate agent
  • Coffee barista
  • Construction worker
  • Salesperson (eg – retail sales, account executives, etc.)
  • Bartender or waiter
  • Lab technician
  • Police officer
  • Firefighter
  • Military
  • Lifeguard
  • Plumber
  • Electrician
  • Flight attendant

Public charge rule for non-immigrant visas

Beginning on October 15, 2019, all Canadians applying for non-immigrant visas through USCIS will be required to show that they have not been, and will not likely be, a public charge according to the newly-enacted Public Charge Rule.