Canadians Obtaining U.S. Citizenship Through Marriage

Canadian citizens with green cards through marriage to a U.S. citizen are eligible to apply for naturalization

Canadian citizens must first have been a U.S. permanent resident for a certain period of time before being eligible for U.S. citizenship. When a Canadian citizen obtained permanent residency through marriage to a U.S. citizen, he/she can apply for U.S. citizenship three years after becoming a permanent resident. During the three years, the Canadian citizen must have been physically present in the United States for at least half of this time (18 months/1.5 years). Please click on U.S. Citizenship for more details.